Skip to main content

I Hate You Covid!

 I almost cried when my students ran into my room and gave me a hug on the second day of school. Pre Covid, this act of affirmation would have felt very rewarding. To be honest, I can't fully put into words how it made me feel. I find myself on the verge of weeping as I type this. I started this blog as an insight to what teaching is like during Covid. At first I felt empowered. I felt I was a pioneer in the age virtual education. I was helping so many around me navigate the virtual world. Unfortunately, this was very short lived. 

As many of you know, I moved from Minneapolis, MN to Alexandria, VA. I began teaching my favorite grade, 3rd. I loved my school. I loved my coworkers. It was crazy. Don't get me wrong. I was still navigating a new city, a new home, a new career, a new roommate, new friends, and a whole lot of new. Yes, I was very hopeful and excited. My students were perfect. Although I was on the phone with parents sometimes at 10 at night, I did what I could to help. 

Canvas sucks. This is the software schools are using to integrate to virtual teaching. I had a few weeks to prep my virtual classroom and get ready for every single teachers first year of teaching. Yes, we are all first year teachers in the year of 2020. Using Canvas was so hard. I am still to this day Google Classroom all the way! I will save the debate. Regardless, I never thought my HTML Myspace coding days would come in handy ever again, but here we are.... PUKE! Anyway, I got through it, and my virtual classroom was totally adorbs. 

The first few weeks of virtual teaching were a mess. I kept sending my kiddos to the wrong ENCORE. (specials) Very hard to do a 5 day rotation on only 4 days of actual in person teaching. It took about 2 weeks, but on the second week I had 100% attendance. My class had many challenges, Title 1 school, all of my students needed English language support, or math support, or reading support, a few were special education and more. You know, a regular class not much different than Minneapolis. I love these kids. They were fighting battles though. Battles, in which no child should every have to fight. I lost a few of my kids to homelessness, and moving. This is a big issue schools have never faced before on such a large scale. This struggle, was a catalyst to yet another change for me.

Just when I was getting the hang of things, and sent my kids to the right Encore for two weeks in a row, HELLO!! Fun is over. Destaffed! At a school where enrolment has never been an issue. 2020 it was. Third grade was budgeted for 4.5 teachers at the end of September.., not 5. Guess who was the last teacher in third grade to sign her contract by two hours....yours truly. So here I am telling my students with the principal over a Zoom I wouldn't be their teacher anymore, and I kid you not, parents started zooming in on their crying child's faces. It was honestly the hardest thing I have had to do in a long time. About to cry again right this second....

So kindergarten it is! Oh and kindergarten is the first group of kiddos to go back to in person teaching. Not 100% in person. 50/50 model. Teaching kids virtually and in person at the same exact time. What a joy. Mind you kindergarten can't even zip their own jackets, they are very helpless in a lot of ways. I love these kids just the same as I do every class. There is a bond between teachers and their students. At least, for me there always is. 100% sweetie pies. Every single child. 

I like having a job, so I will spare many of the details. However, I will say my new school was a bit of a transition to say the least. I feel better now. The weeks leading up to the transition were hard. The unknown was hard. I received access to my kiddos and virtual classroom Friday at midnight. It took me two weeks to get my virtual classroom up and going. This time I had a weekend to get my virtual and in person class up and running, learn the curriculum, which I still don't have all of, lesson plan, do my pgp, my what?, and get the parents into my Canvas. Literally, these few weeks sucked. I'm only on the second week and it's getting easier in a lot of ways, but harder where it counts.

I may or may not have Covid while writing this... I don't really know how much I can say without putting my job at risk or violating FERPA. However what I can bitch about is OMG why is it so hard to get a damn test around here?! Every CVS testing is booked out daily. Hoping to get a test tomorrow at a walk up clinic.. Not thrilled. My PPE is meh. The kids are constantly trying to clump together and I've exhausted myself using every trick in the book. My classroom laptop still won't record with audio, and people are dying!

Wear your masks... Our friend Tim lost 2 cousins, his grandpa, and his favorite uncle in a month!!. My old neighbor lost 10 people, probably more now. Brad's coworker 12. The list goes on. Yet, so many idiots think it's just the flu still. Losing my mind knowing these people exist in the world. How privileged are you? I say this well aware of my own white girl privilege. Yea know, one day I went to my friend's apartment. I was so happy, and vibing to good music, and straight up walked into her apartment complex just feeling care free. That was until my friend goes, "So, just no mask?" I was like ummm... what? I flipping forgot my mask! I didn't even think of it.. not even for a second. It was weird. It was like a taste of pre covid days, happy days. The front desk lady was quick to point a finger at me while also helping other people luckily. We were able to slip upstairs and I found a spare mask in my purse. I will never forget that moment of feeling carefree. 

Ok.. now I am really crying... I hate covid. I'm putting up the Christmas tree this weekend. I don't care if Brad cuts the lights because "it's not Christmas until after Thanksgiving B.S!" Covid has no rules. 2020 has no boundaries. I hate covid. I miss my best girls. Auntie Tay Tay loves those little sweeties so so so so sooo much!

I am sorry if you came here for some heartfelt hope. I don't want to spread more negativity. However, I think people need to know what's up. Shout out to our first responders. Prayers and blessings to everyone. A few positives... because I can't help but always have growth mindset.. I appreciate the small things so much more. Just hearing a loved ones voice say I love you means all the more now. A pretty sunset, fresh air, snuggles with Miss. Kitty. Boring is the new fun. I'm here for it!

With kindness,

Ms.O

Comments